Student Safety on Campus
Staying safe on the campus is an important matter. You can stay safe as long as you are as careful as you are in any public place. It is important for you to enjoy your time on the campus but read the tips written here to protect you from unsafe situations.
For all security enquiries, information and advice, contact campus security, on the following numbers:
Emergency: 9479 2222
Advice and information: 9479 2012
Free call external: 1800 800 613
A list of all La Trobe University emergency contacts are available online, including contact details for security at La Trobe University Sydney Campus.
Your personal safety
- Take responsibility for your own actions and make smart choices.
- Never carry your Personal Identification Number with your credit cards. Never tell anyone, including a bank representative what your PIN is.
- Avoid lonely or unlit places, especially at night; walk with a friend or stay in a group of people.
- Be alert and walk purposefully; look confident. Be wary of strangers, on foot or in cars asking for directions.
- Move away from any threatening behaviour where possible.
- Contact a staff member immediately if you observe anything suspicious occurring in or around the campus.
- If you feel concerned at night, on the campus, request an escort by phoning campus security.
Helpful documents you can refer to:
- La Trobe Student’s Guide to Safety (PDF, 1.57MB)
- Beach Safety Guide by Life Saving Victoria (PDF, 677KB)
- Student Safety Management Plan (PDF, 63.3KB)
Smoking on campus
La Trobe University has been a smoke-free environment since 31st May 2014, in support of our commitment to creating a safe, healthy and beautiful environment. All staff, students and visitors are prohibited from smoking on all University campuses, including outdoor areas.
Designated smoking areas have been provided as part of a transition arrangement. Any staff, student or visitor smoking outside of the designated smoking areas may be fined from 24th July 2017.
This smoke-free policy is a real opportunity to improve the health and wellbeing of our community members and the environments we work, study and live in every day.
- Never leave your wallet, bag or purse or other items of property unattended.
- Only carry enough money for your immediate needs.
- Report all thefts to Security.
- Do not leave valuables in your vehicle.
Incidents and injuries
- If there is an immediate risk to the health and safety of persons, La Trobe College Australia emergency response procedures must be followed.
- All incidents and injuries that occur at La Trobe College Australia should be reported as soon as possible to a staff member, to the front office or by ringing 03 9479 2417.
Emergency procedures are located in each building, with maps showing the locations of exits and emergency assembly areas. The emergency number to call Police, Ambulance or the Fire Brigade in Australia is 000.
First aid registers
A network of staff has been trained in first aid and a list is posted in each building.
Building and floor warden registers
The building and floor warden system is intended to provide for orderly control and evacuation from all buildings in an emergency. Each building in which staff and students are located has a building warden, a deputy building warden and floor wardens (usually two per floor or zone) who will coordinate an evacuation when the alarm is sounded. Maps of evacuation assembly areas are located in all building foyer areas.
Respect at La Trobe
Respect in relationships happens when you respect yourself and others. Learn more about Respect at La Trobe on the La Trobe University website.