Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Latest Information

La Trobe College Australia

Fee Help

FEE-HELP - Australian Government Loan Scheme

Listed in this section is a brief summary of FEE-HELP.

Students interested in FEE-HELP should read the 'FEE-HELP Information Booklet' and 'Request for FEE-HELP Assistance Application' available from La Trobe College Australia and also refer to the Australian Government's Study Assist Website

Note: FEE-HELP is only available for Diploma Programs.

What is FEE-HELP?

La Trobe College Australia, as a recognised Higher Education Provider (HEP), allows eligible students the opportunity to access the FEE-HELP loan scheme.

For 2020, the HELP loan limit is $106,319. If you plan to study medicine, dentistry or veterinary science leading to initial registration, or eligible aviation courses the HELP loan limit is $152,700. A student can elect to pay a portion of fees directly to La Trobe College Australia, and the remaining debt will be registered as a loan through the Australian Taxation Office.

The FEE-HELP limit is indexed annually (as measured by the CPI index). A loan fee of 25% applies to FEE-HELP loans. Indexation and the loan fee do not count towards your FEE-HELP limit.

The Government pays the amount of the loan directly to the student's higher education provider.

Note: FEE-HELP loan policy requires students to maintain a minimum pass rate, relevant to the number of units they are enrolled in (not their academic pass rate), to continue using FEE-HELP for their studies. Please contact Student Services if you have any questions.

Who is entitled to FEE-HELP?

To be entitled to FEE-HELP, students must be one of the following:

  • an Australian citizen
  • the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa who will be a resident in Australia for the duration of the unit
  • New Zealand citizens who are Special Category Visa (SCV) holders and meet the requisite criteria.

When do FEE-HELP loans need to be repaid?

You pay back your HELP debt through the tax system once you earn above the compulsory repayment threshold. The compulsory repayment threshold is different each year. The compulsory repayment threshold for the 2019-20 income year is $45,881.

How does FEE-HELP assist students to pay tuition fees?

La Trobe College Australia sets the tuition fee(s) for students unit(s) of study. If students are eligible for FEE-HELP, they may choose to pay their tuition fee in three ways:

  • pay the full tuition fee up-front to La Trobe College Australia
  • pay some of the tuition fee up-front and request a FEE-HELP loan for the remainder of the tuition fee
  • request a FEE-HELP loan for the full tuition fee.

How to apply for FEE-HELP

Eligible students who wish to pay for part or all of their tuition fees through FEE-HELP must fully complete a 'Request for FEE-HELP assistance' form available at La Trobe College Australia. Students must complete and sign the form and return it to La Trobe College Australia by the relevant census date for the units of study that they are undertaking, including the provision of a tax file number.

Eligible students who fail to pay their tuition fees in full or who do not apply for FEE-HELP (and provide a tax file number) will be at risk of having their enrolment invalidated.

Census Dates

The census date will be at the end of the fourth week of a semester. See dates below. 

2021 Commences Finishes Census Date
Trimester 1 (March 2021) 01 March 28 May 26 March
Trimester 2 (June 2021) 21 June 10 September 16 July
Trimester 3 (October 2020) 11 October 14 January 2021 05 November

Fee schedule

La Trobe College Australia fee schedule outlines units of study, study periods, census dates and tuition fees. Should you have any questions about your individual requirements, please contact your subject coordinator.

What happens next?

Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN)

Within 28 days of the census date La Trobe College Australia will provide students with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN). This will be forwarded to their local address. The notice will provide students with information on the unit(s) for which they have received FEE-HELP assistance and their FEE-HELP debt, including any loan fee amount they may have incurred for those units.

If students believe the notice to be incorrect they should contact the La Trobe College Australia FEE-HELP Officer (in writing) within 14 days of the date of their Commonwealth Assistance Notice. Disputes not lodged within 14 days will not be considered.

Failure to dispute an incorrect Commonwealth Assistance Notice results in this fee liability being reported to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN)

The CAN notice will provide students with their Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN). Students' CHESSN is unique and will enable them to access information on their FEE-HELP balance on the myUniAssist website.

How do you withdraw your enrolment in unit(s) of study?

To withdraw from a unit(s) of study a student may make changes to their original enrolment/unit selection on-line through the La Trobe College Australia student portal. After on-line enrolment is closed, students who want to make an enrolment change will be required to complete the appropriate 'Enrolment Variation' form and submit to La Trobe College Australia reception on or before the census date.

What happens if you withdraw on or before the census date?

Students who correctly withdraw from any unit on or before the census date will not incur a FEE-HELP debt for that unit.

What happens if you withdraw after the census date?

Students who have requested FEE-HELP assistance and withdraw after the census date, will have a debt with the Commonwealth that they are legally required to repay. Students cannot withdraw after the census date without incurring a FEE-HELP debt.

If however, after the census date, students become seriously ill or other special circumstances occur and they are unable to continue their studies, then they can apply to La Trobe College Australia to have their FEE-HELP balance re-credited and their FEE-HELP debt removed. Note that there are time limits for applying.

Where can you obtain more information about FEE-HELP?

Students interested in FEE-HELP should read the 'FEE-HELP Information Booklet' and 'Request for Fee-Help Assistance Application' available from La Trobe College Australia. Further information can be found on Australian Government's Study Assist website.

FEE-HELP and Academic Performance

The Education Legislation Amendment (Provider Integrity and Other Measures) Bill 2017 was introduced into the Australian Parliament on 1 June 2017, and passed through the Parliament on 10 August 2017. As part of the Bill all students will have to maintain a minimum pass rate, relevant to the number of units they are enrolled in (not their academic pass rate), to continue using FEEā€‘HELP for their studies.

Grievances and Appeals

La Trobe College Australia has grievance polices and procedures, both in relation to prospective students and enrolled students on academic and non-academic matters.