Diploma of Engineering
La Trobe Melbourne’s Diploma of Engineering provides an introduction to the field of engineering and a pathway to engineering degrees offered at La Trobe University. You will study first-year undergraduate subjects and, after successfully completing the diploma, you will be eligible for direct entry to second year of your chosen engineering degree.
The course is practical and hands-on. Depending on your chosen degree you will develop skills in a number of core areas like biomedical engineering, communication engineering, electronic and electrical systems, sustainability in energy production, automotive engineering, the application of technology in modern medicine, project management of large-scale projects, sustainable infrastructure, water resources, civil construction, surveying and computer-aided design.
All of La Trobe University's engineering degrees are designed to be accredited by Engineers Australia and provide the opportunity to apply for a number of work placements in a range of fields.
Your direct pathway to La Trobe University
|Year||Domestic Student||International Student Tution Fee||FEE-HELP|
available for domestic students
March and June
Year 12: Satisfactory completion of any English, Mathematical Methods or Specialist Mathematics
- Programming for Engineers and Scientists
- Introduction to Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Principles of Physics A
- Computer Aided Design
- Engineering Design and Problem Solving
- Mechanics of Solids
- Calculus and Different Equations
- Number Systems and Linear Algebra
Entry into 2nd year of
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Industrial)*
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours)*
- Bachelor of Science (Maths major)
*Students require a minimum weighted average mark (WAM) to progress into second year as listed in the table on the Transferring to University page.
Potential career paths at the completion of a bachelor degree
- Oil and gas
- Building and construction of large-scale infrastructure
- Water resources
- Local government
- Mining companies
- Satellite and mobile telecommunications
- Microelectronic circuit design and assembly Control systems
- Technical support and supervision
- Robotics or biomedical engineering
- High-technology health services