Diploma of Bioscience
A Diploma of Bioscience provides you with an introduction to molecular biology, ecology, epidemiology and chemical reactions and analysis. You will also learn about the statistical modelling required in a general scientific career and the research skills required to succeed in a scientific career.
The diploma will set you on the knowledge path to help solve global issues or advise on sustainable methodology and practices. You will learn about the structure, functions and interactions of living organisms from the molecular level upwards and begin to discuss some big issues such as climate change, pandemic regulation, the protection of endangered animals and disease treatment.
Students who successfully complete the Diploma of Bioscience may be eligible to continue their studies in biotechnology fields at La Trobe University.
Your direct pathway to La Trobe University
|Year||Domestic Student||International Student Tuition Fee||FEE-HELP|
available for domestic students
Two or three trimesters
March June and October
Satisfactory completion in one of any English or any Mathematics
8 subjects required for completion of the Diploma. 7 core subjects listed below plus 1 elective module from any other diploma.
- Molecules, Genes and Cells (SBIO1MGC)
- Chemistry Foundations (SCHE1CHF)
- Human Bioscience A (HHBS1HBA)
- Statistics for Life Sciences (SSTA1LS)
- Ecology, Evolution and Biodiversity (SBIO1EEB)
- Applications of Chemistry (SCHE1APL)
- Infections, Pandemics and Epidemics (SMIC1IPE)
Note: Human Biosciences B (HHBS1HBB) is the required elective module for students wishing to enter Bachelor of Biomedicine.
Entry into 2nd year of
- Bachelor of Agriculture*
- Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience*
- Bachelor of Biological Sciences*
- Bachelor of Biomedicine*
- Bachelor of Science (Majors available: Biochemistry, Botany, Chemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, Statistics, Zoology)
Bachelor of Biological Science* (Bendigo campus only)
*Students require a minimum weighted average mark (WAM) to progress into second year as listed in the table on the Transferring to University page.
Second year of some Bachelor courses may require specific university subjects to be completed as elective units.
Potential career paths at the completion of a bachelor degree
- Biological scientist
- Environmental scientist
- Government and private industry research specialist
- Scientific and medical research specialist
- Scientific patent consultant
#October intake students should be eligible to articulate to LTU March (semester 1) 2022, again with an expected 4 month study break between diploma and Bachelor.